Sunday, November 9, 2008

"The Definition of Character" - Before I Say 'I Do' Pt 3


“But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance”

I can't tell you how to do these things, because I am still learning myself. But with all these things, we can be the arbitrator of God's promises, a walking testimony of what God can do. Your character is what you believe in, what you practice, what you value. I will admit, I am lacking some of those. But let me tell you what I have gained. A year ago, I was the saddest person you ever met. I was alone, I was exhausted, I was ready to give up. Then I met Mi Amor and she re-introduced me to God.

Have you ever been so down, so low, so defeated, you no longer feel you have a purpose? Ever felt like your foot is heavy on the accelerator, trying to speed off but you are stuck in neutral? That’s how my life was. I was seeking so much acceptance from other people, I was overall denied the essence of life because I was seeking it in the wrong places. “Cause if you didn’t define yourself, for yourself, you’d be crunched into other people’s fantasies of you, and eaten alive.” (Audre Lorde) I was so busy trying to prove myself to other people, I didn’t think about ALL the consequences of my actions. Or what it really takes to be an adult. I was definitely caught in a nightmare, that others would call a fantasy. I will spare you details, but you know where I am going with it.

I hit rock bottom emotionally. I was drained. Everything I had built with my own strength, my own knowledge, was torn down. But then I was shown the light. God. He watered a seed that was already planted and made it grow. I screamed out my pain to Him. I took my burdens to him, and left them there. He replaced them with Joy. A Joy I have never tasted before. An inner peace of tranquility. A happiness that can never be taken away from me. I LOVE God. I have had some suffering in my day. But now I seek patience. I am learning gentleness. God has reopened the goodness He instilled in my heart when I was born. I am being molded as we speak. I am in no way perfect, and never will be. But I will do my best to become “The Definition of Character” with God.
* Genesis 2:21 – 25; Genesis 39:2-9; Acts 15:29; I Corinthians 6:18, 10:13; Jude 24-25; Matthew 6:1-4; Galations 5:16-24

3 comments:

Annitra said...

Ok Doc!!! You are super deep!!! Ill have to read this again... and post another comment....

Myron Robert said...

lol too funny!

LoveTeiaB said...

Living with nothing but love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance is hard work in this cruel, impressionable world but somebody has to do it.
You don't know this but I thank God that I met your family because I pray that I could live like this and try to execute it by walking the walk. My family talk about living like this but they're all talk. I met a wonderful family that live it and that was a blessing to me...I feel like Obama now..YES I CAN! LOL!