Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"You had me at 'Hello'.." Dating Pt 2




Tom Cruise says, “You complete me” to his wife Renee Zellweger in the movie Jerry Maguire. In the midst of his speech she cuts him off and says, “Shut up, Just shut up! You had me at hello.” I know everyone has the idea that they want someone in life that completes them. What I think it really means though, is people want a mate that pleases them in a way that can’t be done on their own. Here is an example of what I mean. My sisters works at a spa and I made an appointment with her to wash my hair. I don’t just pay her to wash my hair, but it is a moment for me and her to reflect on our lives and really talk. As she is washing my hair, she is using this scrub brush that I swear is heavenly when used. I told her I was going to buy one because it feels so good, she responded “Trust me, its not the same. I tried it and it was lame.” We laughed, but it was an epiphany for me. We should seek our mates the same way.

I am reading a book right now, and I will disclose its name later, but the book is talking about different expressions of love. One is Physical Touch. Please do not confuse physical touch with sex, because its not quite the same, though sex is a variant of Physical Touch. But lets take kissing for an example, can you really kiss yourself? I mean how weird is that! It requires someone else to accommodate that. Same in relationships. If you like people to do things for you, like cook, just cooking for yourself is whack. As a society we have been just been getting caught up in how someone makes you feel because of how they look to you. Falling in love so easily. But that fades away overtime and you see people for themselves. You know, True Colors as we call it. That’s why they say don’t become roommates with your bestfriend. And everyone who has knows what I mean.

I myself now realize I have been a victim of this same fact. When you are in love you do all these things for the other person without hesitation or question, because you are on this emotional rollercoaster and its at the peak, forgetting that it eventually will come down. Then and ONLY then is true love really measured. If you still want to do those things even after the high is gone because you know it pleases your mate, then you truly love that person. I have been at the end of that rollercoaster only to find out I don’t care to do those things as much. But I have also been at that same end and I still love to do those things for this person (Mi Amor). There is so much that could be said but I am going to try to stay on topic.

Relationships should be taken seriously, but we treat them today like we are still in our adolescent stage in life. All fun and games, trying to constantly be on that high. Lets be more than that. Lets really start to look for the things that we know we want in another person. Like me?, I like to be touched. So hugs, kissing, flirting, all great for me. And I also like to talk to an individual about intelligent things, and not just the newest Jordans coming out. That’s what I like. What do you like? Find out. Anyone can do these things, but seldom do people do them the way you want them done specifically. Its all about you. You have the choice to select who performs the best, so choose wisely. You can have anyone you want, Will Smith proves that in the movie Hitch. And its never too late to start over, even if you are in a relationship. Start over with that person. You will be amazed at how the relationship can be on fire again if you compromise on the things you want your mate to do. We all make mistakes, I know I did. Still do. Finally I am making a change so that I can truly become a Man. Its interesting how a woman has actually helped me become a man. Not that she taught me how to replace the oil in my car, but she has helped realize/understand certain things in life that I have been lacking. And she isn’t even really my woman, she is my true friend. Friends are powerful, so get some REAL ones.

No comments: