Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Shake Hands Firmly. Let them know you are there.." Confidence Pt 1


In the movie Hitch with Will Smith, Hitch(Will Smith) is speaking to Albert about going out with Allegra Cole, a multimillionaire. When meeting her rich friends, Hitch tells Albert to "Shake hands firmly. Let them know you are there..." Meaning, be confident that you are a person and you are just as important as they are, despite not being a millionaire. I have recently been IRRITATED by an individual and their inability to see their beauty. I must comment. So today’s topic is confidence. If you are beautiful, then you are beautiful. Do not question it. Do not look for others approval on the matter. In my case, this individual is not ugly. But her confidence level just brings her down on the scale. I know women who are less attractive than she is, but because they believe they look good, they are more ATTRACTIVE than she is. They carry a certain aura and dress VERY well, so I see beyond the physical, I see the mental. Now I was not always the cocky version of myself I am today, so I understand the initial uncertainty about oneself. But she is constantly degrading herself and it was getting on my nerves. She was also telling me how she can’t seem to find the right guy and that men ain’t *bleep*. Well, in the words of Katt Williams, “what you mean to say is all the ‘guys’ YOU mess with aint *bleep*”. I know guys that PREY on women like her. And it’s the only thing she attracts because guys like me don’t think twice about her.

Ok I am sorry for venting just now, let me make my point. Confidence is Key in pursuing the opposite sex. Confidence comes from within. It starts with just knowing that you have something unique to offer the world, YOURSELF. You have to truly believe that statement. I am going to write this from a Man’s perspective. What attracts a guy initially is how a woman carries herself. Her speech, her appearance, her attitude. All those things come into play when we are chasing women. But an INSTANT turn off is a woman who complains about her weight constantly, or claims she is not beautiful enough. If you were that ugly, I would NOT be trying to holla at you. When you incorporate things of that nature into your psyche, it reflects in your demeanor and in your presence. You dress differently because you are trying to cover your stomach up since you think it is too round. You wear big pants because you think your butt is too big. So now instead of looking like a woman, you look like a boy. None of us are homosexual so we are not going to date someone that looks like ourselves. So lesson number one, Believe in yourself. Let us Pause there. There is more to come on your next visit to Cloud 9.

1 comment:

Hope said...

You are a very talented writer and a very understanding individual. However, in regards to those with low self-esteem, I feel that the improving one's conifidence is just one step in improving their self-esteem. I really think it is important to look into a person's background and found out what is or was going on in their life that got them to that point.
For example, growing up I would say I had little to no confidence in myself. I was told things like I was fat and ugly,I had big lips and frizzy hair, and was really pale almost everyday, so that is what I began to believe. I found myself involved with many of the men that knew to how to prey and take advantage of girls like me. All I knew, or I should say that I thought I was finally found love and affection that I had not received at home. I gave that person power over me even when I did not have any power over myself.
The point being is that it's not just confidence that will improve self-esteem or relationships. I think you touched on it a little, but loving YOURSELF is what should be really focused on. How will you be able to love someone else without first loving yourself? There is no confidence if there is no love for oneself.
It's the amazing feeling that causes you to walk past the mirror and do a double take, standing there staring back at yourself thinking, 'I am beautiful!'
I think you will agree with me, Mr. "Phil Good" and maybe you could elaborate more on this for us. I am curious to know the man's perspective on this, also considering the fact that I know you have a couple years of experience on me that could critic my writing, as well as explain better and add to what I am trying to say.