Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Friends, how many of us have them?"


Friends, ones we can depend on! Everyone knows that song. My friend Jessica told me that she has a philosophy about friends, and that philosophy is we have more than one bestfriend. Sounds simple right? Well, lets go into detail before I raise the question. Jessica says “Friends are around for you to be yourself…[On the one hand, you] may like to be goofy and do certain things but one of your friends may not want to, so you have another friend who you do that type of stuff with.” Lets talk about that for a second. Now there are a lot of people that would consider that “fake”. I wonder why? I think of that as being realistic with yourself and others. We all have different aspects of our personality that we explore and there are just some things our friends just don’t like that we do. Example, I like to Karaoke. My african american friends look at me stupid when I say that (because they have little exposure to life). So who do I do it with? My light-skinned friends!

So I am I really fake for a having another really good friend who I do those things with and not you?? I mean, we are not dating so why the jealousy? And since we are not dating, we don’t have to do everthing together! This is another reason I don’t mix friends, they are not interested in the same things so why try to force yall together! This is something I just wrote about in the previous posting so I am not even going to really going to get into that real heavy.

But how do we chose friends? My cousin had an interesting point. He said “Friends are like family, you can’t chose them. They have already been prechosen before you even started looking.” Lets examine that as well. I didn’t go around looking for someone named Sharonda when I went that basketball game four years ago. (actually I did didn’t I Sharonda lol) I didn’t go to lunch in the 10th grade and say “Is there someone here named Darnell that’s suppose to be my partner in spades for the next two years and eventually become my brother from another mother?” Did I go to Best Buy one afternoon and say “Is there some dude named Kenny here that’s gonna make me spend my whole damn check on some sounds in my car and eventually become my right hand man?” NO! God already pre-planned them to be my bestfriends so I didn’t have to chose, he chose them for me.

I want to pause there. Tune in next time to find out more...

No comments: