Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"I just want to come up and talk.." Dating Pt 1


So lately I have had my share of drama, particularly with women. I have been hearing some war stories and I just need to comment. Our society has seemed to forget the definition of “soul mate” or “true love.” We are obtaining relationships by attraction alone without hesitation, instead of compatibility. Say it with me, COMPATIBILITY. This is a problem. Relationships based on the physical last about as long as the Wayne Brady show did on the air. Those of you asking “what show was that?” Exactly. You didn’t even hear about it that’s how short it was.

It all starts with dating. Dating is simple. I pick you up, we go out, I HOPE we have fun, I take you home. The night is typically over. No “I’ll call you when I get home” or “Do you want to come inside?” or something like that. But what is the true purpose of dating? It’s to define what you truly want in your significant other by researching multiple possibilities. This is why people are often called pimps and players, when all we really do is crush a lot. We seek people out by face and not by personality. Which to an extent is unfortunate because beauty isn’t everything. At the same time though, who wants to date an extremely UNattractive person you know? I don’t know anyone who goes around looking for the ugliest person they can find to holla at.

In dating, that is actually ok because dating is just a means to understand an individual. But relationships should not be based on the physical like many of us do. Dating is often mistaken for being in a relationship though. Which why a lot of people get hurt. We fall so easily for the flesh, myself included. Relationships are also a 2 way street though. We can not fall head over heels for someone and they do not feel the same. You will end up heartbroken faster than you will find yourself saying "I do." We must be careful with who we place our faith into, that is why a relationship should only be initiated by a true accord, and not by some agreement that you have been seeing each other 3 months so we might as well be in a relationship. When you are dating it’s more of fun times than anything else, but we have to start looking deeper folks.

PS. We also can’t keep going through a constant cycle arguing and breaking up with our current choice of a mate. I was approached by an individual once who told me “If you love me, it should be enough.” No, I am sorry but it is not. Love is blind. You can learn to love anyone, (not saying I didn’t truly love this person because I do), but I am not going to hang out in misery because of it. But if you are unhappy with your relationship make it known EARLY.

No comments: